Discover the bustling authentic Italian culture and cuisine of Boston's North End on a culinary voyage of discovery that takes you behind the scenes and down side streets, abundant in history and local color.
This neighborhood offers some of the most authentic Italian cuisine outside of Italy and you'll explore the area's best kept secrets and hidden gems as you taste gourmet cuisine, prepared using traditions that have been handed down through generations. This is the oldest urban neighborhood in America, offering a kaleidoscope of tastes and smells. Pass down narrow streets, bustling with coffee houses, bakeries and restaurants as you breathe in fresh salty air, punctuated with the fragrance of freshly brewed coffee.
Soak up the sites in the company of passionate foodie guides as you sample delectable foods and meet the personalities behind the business that craft these incredible culinary delights. You'll learn about the colorful history of the North End and meet the people whose families have traded in the area for generations.
This is the only way to experience Boston, ‘America's Walking City' and explores the city's Italian cuisine and culture from a whole new perspective.
Experience the unique culture and cuisine of Boston's North End as never before with a passionate food expert. Explore some of the city's best hidden secrets and make friends along the way.
Tours last three hours and are led by energetic and knowledgeable guides. Tasting stops on the day include Polcari's Coffee (authentic coffee shop), Pizzeria Regina (incredible brick oven pizza), Salumeria Italiana (gourmet Italian shop), Maria's Pastry Shop (family run pastry shop) and Artu (authentic Italian eatery).
Tours take place Saturdays at 1pm. They are not weather dependent and take place come rain or shine. Early booking is recommended as this tour can be booked out up to 2 weeks in advance.
This tour includes five stops where you will experience rich, old world Italian culinary delights revolutionized for today's Boston food scene. Stops on the day typically include the following:
- Polcari's Coffee - Polcari's Coffee has been a staple on Salem Street in the North End since 1932 when Anthony Polcari came from Italy and realized his dream of owning a coffee shop. Now owned and operated by a close friend of the family, Polcari's Coffee and grocery maintains its old world charm and still offers Mr. Polcari's famous house roast that has maintained its popularity with the locals.
- Pizzeria Regina - Since 1926 this North End pizzeria has been wowing locals and visitors alike with their more than 80 year old secret recipe for brick oven pizza made with only the freshest and most natural ingredients.
- Salumeria Italiana - This family run Italian food shop located on the Freedom Trail is as authentically old world Italian as you can get. Since 1962, Salumeria has been providing locals and visitors of the North End with only the best in Italian foods, oils, vinegars pasta and specialty items with a chef on hand to answer all of your questions about authentic Italian fare.
- Maria's Pastry Shop - If it is authentic Italian pastries you want, Maria's is the place to be. Family run and operated since 1982, Maria's is known for their homemade cannolis, pastries, cookies, cakes, breads and candies made in the old world Italian tradition.
- Artu - Since 1992 Artu has been a neighborhood favorite for those looking for classic Italian cuisine made with simple, fresh ingredients. Artu specializes in roasted meats and vegetables and home-style pastas.